Wednesday, May 28, 2014

THE QUESTION

Someone asked me today if I was religious and my answer was no; I wouldn’t want to be seen as religious but I do consider myself spiritual. I can’t associate myself with religion because I for one believe that being religious is a slippery slope; one that is hard to maneuver and is an oppressive conception for some. First, how can I condemn my brother or my sister for believing differently than I do? Shouldn’t everyone have the same right to choose for themselves, and decide without fear their path in life? Secondly, I cannot embrace anything that would take a person’s life for simply daring not to agree. You choose freely your philosophy and your way of life; why try to convince another or condemn them when they refuse yours. I see the religious turn their backs on loved ones who dare to live their own lives. I see the religious watch without sorrow as someone die because they dared to choose their own path. I have watched the religious deny children a place in their lives and hearts because their parents dared to choose for themselves. I see on the news in various regions of the world the religious take the life of another in the name of religion. No, I am not and never will be religious. I am not judging the religious because that would make me no better than them. I am not denying the religious their right to judge others for not believing what they believe. I am simply stating what I have witnessed.  I want to live a life led by my love; and not by the dictations of fictitious laws and rules intended to enslave the oppressed. I want to have an open heart that includes everyone no matter their beliefs. I want my heart to also guide me and not just a Book; holy or not. I want to treat each person with tolerance and not judge them based on their beliefs. Who gave me the right to say that you are wrong. I refuse to be anyone’s God

No comments:

Post a Comment