Sunday, April 13, 2014

A lesson in Humility

..she walked in about 12:30 and I’m not sure why I took note of her, but it could have been the way she entered the kitchen with an air of superiority. She didn’t stay long or said much to the lady I was assisting, but  from the bits and pieces of their exchange that was audible from where I stood slicing ham,  she would be back to help as soon as she took care of a few other things.  After three separate trips to tell the woman cooking that she would be back shortly, she was in the kitchen talking down to everyone with that same air of superiority. The other ladies all had thick accents identifying them and their diverse backgrounds; some struggled with their English which could have been why she with her proper English and her noticeable American accent felt superior indeed. As my irritation grew I
became more defensive and critical and caught myself thinking of leaving since I was not about to have none of that from her. I felt she could have been friendlier and spoke to us in a nicer way, then suddenly as if in an epiphany  I remembered why I was in that kitchen; I was there to serve. I had volunteered to help give these people a Christmas dinner, so it was no longer about me. I realized that I was committed, not just to my community or the people who we were preparing the meal for, but to me. So, regardless of how that woman was acting or anything else discouraging or unpleasant that may be happening I needed to be in control, not controlled by my emotions and feelings, and because I was committed I needed to humble myself and not be so sensitive. At that moment my defenses came down and I began to serve with joy. Gradually, I no longer noticed the tone of her voice or how unfriendly she sounded, I noticed none of the things that irritated me five minutes before, and it was a reawakening. By the end of the evening she was so full of gratitude for my help, but unbeknown to her I was the grateful one. Something was rekindled in my spirit and I remembered the feeling of fulfillment I got when I served others; she had unknowingly helped restore my spirit of humility. I don’t know about you but for me it takes  humility to cancel any feelings of defensiveness, fear of hurt feelings and misuse. In humility I feel no need to protect or defend myself from what others may say or do to hurt me mentally or emotionally (I am not speaking of violence or physical hurt).  In one of the stories of the bible, it says that the meek shall inherit the earth and I was always a believer in that proverbial expression. I went to help others but instead I was helped, those people left grateful for a free meal and gifts for their children, but I left grateful for the gift of giving, humility and meekness. This all happened yesterday at the corner of Barton and Sanford, in this holiday season when the spirit of giving is at a high, many things are happening off Barton Street and some of them are phenomenal. -Marcia A. Tulloch

No comments:

Post a Comment