Monday, April 14, 2014

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN

As I sit here this evening my heart is full of gratitude for all the love that surrounds me. I am a rich woman because I am here with my beautiful daughter and my wonderful man and I am so loved by both. We spent the whole day celebrating life and births. A lazy morning, good food and an evening full of laughter. I was outnumbered, and as usual I was the brunt of the jokes but it was awesome. It is a joy to be with these two because it amazes me to see two people so alike when I am the only connection, the common denominator, the tie that binded them together and not genealogy.  They are indeed father and daughter, not by blood but by choice. It was love at first sight even though she was 20 and cynical. She loves him intuitively and he lets her. He loves her instinctively as if he knew she needed him. It’s a relationship I believed she would never experience; a father’s love.  You see, her real dad was diagnosed with cancer when she was 3 and passed on when she was eight. He is the first father figure in the 12 years and he remembers with pride and great joy the first day she called him “dad”. His eyes lights up whenever he retells the story. Today, I was on the outside looking in and the view was beautiful. I was looking at my life. And I am here enjoying it, living in the moment; and wise enough to recognize the wonderful gift that life has bestowed upon me; family.  I don’t mean to get so sentimental but I can’t help it because I know the value of moments like these – Priceless.  Cherishing every moment, living in the here and now, somewhere off …

No comments:

Post a Comment